Ian [DJ Commodre] Thomas at his court appearance on February 5, 2013.
Photo Credit: Melissa Edwards/BVI Platinum News
The start of the sex trial involving DJ and radio personality, Ian Thomas known as 'DJ Commodore', has encountered another delay.
At the opening of the February criminal assizes today, Attorney At Law Herbert McKenzie who has previously appeared for Thomas informed the court that a lot has been said about the case in the past . However, since the matter appeared in the high court he has been appearing pro bono.
The lawyer then asked that he gets a mention date for when Thomas´s legal representative should be sorted out. He said if he does not appear as the lawyer on the date given at least the issue will be finalized and a trial date can be set.
The matter was then set for mention on February 25.
Thomas, who is charged with rape and kidnapping of a minor, remains on bail.
In the Magistrate's Court, Thomas was charged with rape and having unlawful sexual intercourse with a girl under the age of 16.
However, in his October 2011 appearance in the High Court, a new charge of kidnapping was put to the DJ.
He has pleaded not guilty to the charges.
On September 9, 2011, former Senior Magistrate Valerie Stephens ruled that there was enough evidence for the case to be sent to the High Court's October criminal assizes. Her decision came following a Preliminary Inquiry.
BVI Platinum News understands that the teen is claiming that Commodore took her to his Josiah's Bay residence where the incident occurred.
The allegations against Thomas will be laid out at the start of the trial.